1. Update Greeting Frequently.An out-of-date greeting leaves a negative impression. Let callers know when you’re available and when you’re not.
2. Ask for Detailed Messages.I get annoyed by messages for me to call back when I am free. Time can be saved if the message is the message, so I can call back with the appropriate information.
3. Elements of Good Voicemail Greetings- Greeting
- Your Name
- Your Company Name and/or Department Name
- Statement that you cannot take their call right now
- Invitation to leave a message
- When they can expect a return call
- Who they can contact for immediate assistance (if applicable)
- No longer than 20 – 25 seconds (rule-of-thumb)
- Avoid giving out too much information and making an overly long greeting.
1. Welcome Message GreetingThank you for calling The Widget Company, where ‘Widgets Are Our Only Business’. Visit us on the web at http://www.widget.com. If you know the extension of the person you wish to reach, you may dial it at any time. Otherwise, please choose from one of the following options. For sales, press ’1′. For customer service, press ’2′. For purchasing or accounting, press ’3′. For technical support, press ’4′. If you would like company information such as hours of operation and location, press ’5′. Otherwise, press ’0′, or stay on the line, and a member of our staff will assist you shortly. Thank you for calling the Widget Company.
2. General Voicemail GreetingYou have reached The Widget Company’s general voice mailbox. Please leave a message after the tone, and one of our staff will contact you as soon as possible. When you have finished, you may press ‘pound’ for further options. To return to the previous menu, press ‘star’. Thank you for calling the Widget Company.
3. Personal Voicemail GreetingYou have reached the voicemail box of Richard Simpson. Mr. Simpson is unable to take your call at this time. Please leave a message after the tone, and he will return your call as soon as possible. When you have finished, you may press ‘pound’ for further options. If you call is urgent, dial ‘star’ 118 to be connected to Mr. Simpson’s assistant. Thanks for calling, and have a great day.
4. Simple Personal Voicemail Greeting
Hi. This is Jim Bucki at About.com. I can’t take your call right now, but I would like to return it as soon as I can. So, please leave me a detailed confidential message after the tone. If you need immediate assistance, please call my secretary, Suzy Smith at extension 6336. Thanks for your call.
5. Simpler Personal Voicemail GreetingHi, this is (Name). I'm sorry I cannot answer your call right now. Please leave a detailed, message at the tone. I'll call you as soon as I return. Thank you.
ConclusionI might redirect my business line to my mobile phone and record the Simple Personal Voice Greeting.
That’s for me. What would you choose?
You may view the latest post at