How to Connect an External Video Camera to MacBook Pro for Live Streaming
Check out my latest posts:
- How to use the GoPro Hero 8 black as a webcam ⏩ https://adriansjournal.blogspot.com/2020/07/how-to-use-gopro-hero-8-black-as-webcam.html
- OBS Facebook live streaming on MacBook pro with 2 video capture cards and 3 cameras... https://adriansjournal.blogspot.com/2020/06/obs-facebook-live-streaming-setup-on.html
- Ecamm Live - the best live streaming app for Mac... https://adriansjournal.blogspot.com/2020/05/ecamm-live.html
- How to switch between multiple cameras, live stream and record without using a computer? Check out this all-in-one portable live streaming device.
ATEM Television Studio HD Setup with OBS Live Streaming -In this video, I walk through my multi-camera live streaming setup using the Blackmagic Design ATEM Television Studio HD via MacBook Pro and OBS.
2-Camera Live Video Switching with BlackMagic and OBS -
In this video, I walk through my 2-camera live streaming setup using Blackmagic Design Ultrastudio Mini Recorders on a MacBook Pro via OBS.
Feel free to leave comments and questions.
The original "idea" journal posted on Aril 28, 2015.I have a request to shoot a corporate internal talk and stream it to a live audience in seven different countries.
First 3 things that came to mind is...
1. Video conferencing system.
2. Google+ Hangouts On Air with YouTube Live.
3. Other Streaming services like Ustream.
Video conferencing system is out as that would require a whole set of dedicated equipment.
All I have at this point is.
1. The Panasonic HMC151 AVCHD video camera.
2. The MacBook Pro Retina with GPU.
3. Fibre Broadband at the client's premises.
So YouTube Live and streaming services would probably work.
The question is how do I connect my live video camera to the MacBook Pro.
Here's what I found.
The Panasonic HMC151 has 2 live outputs.
- Analog Composite
The MacBook Pro Retina has 4 inputs.
- 2 Thunderbolt ports
- 2 USB 3.0 ports
Recommended video camera interface:
- Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Recorder. HD-SDI/HDMI to thunderbolt. 1 channel. With embedded sound. USD$145. For MAC ONLY. ***Powered by thunderbolt.
- Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Component/HDMI to USB 3.0. 1 channel. USD$199. Can be used in both PC and MAC. Need a power adapter.
Recommend Live Streaming Software Options:
- Telestream Wirecast. US$495 or US$995(pro). Free for YouTube partners. Can support many camera inputs. (Commercial for MAC and PC) http://www.telestream.net/wirecast/overview.htm
- Google+ Hangouts On Air (Free for MAC and PC) https://plus.google.com/hangouts/onair
- Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder (Free for MAC and PC) http://www.adobe.com/products/flash-media-encoder.html
- LiveStream Producer (Freemium for MAC and PC) http://livestream.com/producer/software
- Open Broadcaster Software (Open Source for Mac and PC) https://obsproject.com/
- Ustream Producer (Freemium for Mac and PC) http://www.ustream.tv/producer
Popular Streaming Destination
- YouTube Live
- Google+ HOA
- Recording Up to 8 hours
- Live DVR play back up to recent 4 hours
- YouTube edit for up to 2 hours
- Google+ Hangouts On Air
- Custom encoding
- http://www.telestream.net/wirecastforyoutube/cb-landing.htm Wirecast for YouTube. Currently not available. Why?
- http://bit.ly/WirecastCam Free Wirecast Cam iOS 8 app.
YouTube Live vs Google+ HOA
Alternative camera to consider in future
- Others cannot join in the webcast vs up to 10 can join in.
- Higher video quality with custom encoder vs lower quality.
- Like TV broadcast vs interactive webinar.
- No watermark logo vs "Google+" logo on the top left.
- Panasonic HMC151 → HDMI out → HDMI cable → Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder (US$145) → Thunderbolt port → MacBook Pro → Wirecast (US$995) → YouTube Live or Ustream → USB to Ethernet Adapter (US$29) → Viewer software?? → Live Audience
- Flash configuration
- Panasonic HMC151 → HDMI out → HDMI cable &→ UltraStudio MR (US$145) → Thunderbolt port → MacBook Pro → Adobe Flash Encoder (Free) → YouTube Live (Free) → USB to Ethernet Adapter (US$29) → YouTube Watch Page Link → Live Audience
- + External SSD for recording
- Internet upload speed must be 2x more than video/audio bit rate.
- Use speedtest.net to test upload speed.
- Streaming HD720 is 4000kbps and HD1080 is 6000kbps.
- Panasonic AW-HE130 HD Integrated Camera
Sources where I found the information: