What is a webinar?
- Webinars are web-based seminars with more than 30 participants.
- Online presentations, workshops, lectures and meetings.
- Webinars are interactive between the viewer and the presenter.
- Save money on travel, catering and venue.
- Set the date in advance. Avoid dates near holidays to ensure maximum attendance.
- Set the right time. Avoid timings when your participant will be out of office and avoid having it too close to the end of the day.
- Set the agenda. Determine the duration and list out the topic. Include some Q and A time.
- Select you webinar tool. Test various tools and choose the one with features that suits your requirement.
- Practice running the webinar. Ensure you know how to use the webinar tool to run the session smoothly.
- Send the invitation. Outline the agenda so participants will know if it is relevant for them. Include a link to connect to the webinar.
- Record the webinar. Make the recorded webinar available for later use or for people who did not attend.
Webinar tool vs online meeting tool?
- Most online meeting tool accommodates up to 30 participant, while the webinar tool can take hundreds or more.
- Webinar tools have features like invitation, registration and followup facilities.
How to choose a webinar tool? Questions to ask…
- Can it accommodate multiple presenters at different places?
- Can it display slides from the presenter’s computer?
- Can it play back a video from the presenter’s computer?
- Does it allow user with slower internet to switch to lower resolution video?
- Can you send over files to your viewer?
- What is the maximum number of participants?
- What is the price?
- Can you test a free trial before committing?
- Top 3
- Adobe Connect. Made for webinars, learning and training. Allows mobile users to connect. Pricing is complex based on hosted, on-premise, monthly, annual, pay per use, etc. http://www.adobe.com/sea/products/adobeconnect/webinars.html
- Citrix GoToWebinar. Nearly $500 per month for a thousand participants. http://www.gotomeeting.com/online/collaboration/webinar/
- Cisco WebEx. High end service but not as comprehensive as Adobe Connect. $49 per month and up. http://www.webex.com/products/elearning-and-online-training.html
- Saba Meeting
- Microsoft Office Live Meeting