1: Make people feel something (forget neutral...)
2: Do something unexpected (forget about trying to make it look cool...)
3: Do not try to make advertisements (tell a good story...)
4: Make sequels (blog, blooper, behind the scenes, extra goodies...)
5: Allow Sharing, downloading and embedding
6: Connect with comments
7: Never restrict access!
3 Rules For Managing Viral Marketing...
Experiment, Monitor and Respond.
Why is viral marketing different from traditional marketing?
1. Success bares no relation to investment
2. Viral Marketing does not have a timeline
3. Number of views bare little relation to reach or impact of Viral Marketing
Marketing's Viral Goldmine...
"A record sum of money is expected to be spent by businesses desperate to cash in on the pass-it-on phenomenon this year. But are they the best ads yet, or something more sinister?"
"If you put a campaign out there it will remain out there for years and years. So you have to work very hard to make sure you're saying the right thing about your brand, because you won't be able to stop it once it's out there."
5 Signs Your Viral Marketing May Flop...
- The people who hate you are louder than the people who like you.
- You don't have something sexy, funny, controversial or voyeuristic.
- The message is too difficult (or impossible) to pass on.
- Your focus is on the tactic instead of the strategy.
- Overselling and overbranding.
Seven Deadly Sins of Advertising Via Viral Video...
- Make a white and brown cow.
- Pretend you’re not advertising.
- Spend a fortune on production.
- Tell consumers instead of engage them.
- Do a video contest because everyone else is.
- Set unrealstic conversion metrics.
- Throw in the towel and decide to just advertise around viral videos.
The Viral Garden's Top 25 Marketing Blogs - Week 42
- Seth's Blog
- Creating Passionate Users
- Gaping Void
- Duct Tape Marketing
- Marketing Shift
- Daily Fix
- New School of Network Marketing