In the quest to learn great business networking skills, I attended a short talk on "Business Networking Primer" by my friend Roger Loh, a certified business networker.
I have been running my own business for over 10 years but only started actively networking last year.
At first, my purpose for networking is to improve my videography business.
Today, I network because I discovered there is more than just growing my business. In fact, a flood of other opportunities reveal themselves which I never knew existed.
Anyway here are 10 Powerful Business Networking tips I picked up from the Roger Loh's talk.
- Attend business networking events regularly to build credibility and trust.
- Be genuinely interested in the other party. Find out how you can help them.
- Be generous, helpful, well-groomed and have positive energy. Practise humour.
- Speak with a confident posture, smile, maintain eye-contact and listen actively.
- Do not sell your wares in business networking events. Build relationships first.
- Always follow up after meeting. Networking is not an event, it is a process.
- Good places to network with like-minded people are in seminars and workshops.
- For wider exposure with international links, join Business Network International (BNI).
- Read the book How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.
- Most importantly, add value, have a "giving" mentality. BNI slogan: "Givers Gain".
There is more of course. I will be attending the complete 2-day workshop on Business Networking to hone my techniques. This is a valuable life-time skill that they never taught me in school.