How To Shoot and Edit a Film Festival Awards DVD Video...

I just completed and uploaded my latest video assignment.

Please watch it here...
http://www.videolane.com/?Videos:Asian_First_Films_2007


It is a star-studded Awards Ceremony for the Asian Festival of First Films organized by Teamwork Productions in Singapore on 4 December 2007 at Jubilee Hall, Raffles Hotel.


Here is what I have to do as a videographer working alone.


THE EARLY BIRD
I like to arrive 2 hours before the event starts. This gives me ample time to survey the place, watch the last minute rehearsals and find out the exact flow of the event. For recording stage shows, I will also need some time to plant my tripod on the best spot and hook up the sound feed to my camcorder.


EAT THE SOUND
Getting the sound feed means hooking up my camcorder audio input to the hall audio system's output. That is, instead of recording ambient surrounding noise, I have crisp clear sound recording from every microphone setup on stage. Got to do this early because I know lots of press media people will be there too. (Tip: Have to make friends with the audio guys to give me priority.)


CHECK YOUR WEAPON
Recording is done with my Sony HDR-FX7 High Definition Handycam Camcorder. Insert empty tape. Snap video light. Load full battery. Final check and I'm ready. Charge into the battle field.

SHOOT THE STARS
Movie stars, producers and directors fill the entire cocktail reception area. Georgeous black was the common dress code. Occasional reds and whites. Stayed sharp and sniped the ones on thier high. That is, looking bright and smiling happy.

LET THE SHOW BEGIN
When the show started, the press media crew scrambled to get thier positions. Ha! I got the best spot 2 hours earlier (...and there were not enough sound feed to go around. HAHA!). The show went on for two hours. With earphones on, the recording was a satisfactory success.

MIX, BAKE AND BURN
Next, video editing. I dread this part. Creative brain cells get killed here. My only partner here is Sony Vegas Pro. (Still using the old version, no time to upgrade to the Sony Vegas Pro 8 that I won last week)

SLICE IN THREE
Basic storyboard rule: Opening, Body, Closing. Find the best shots. Listen for appropriate sound bites. Ruthlessly delete scenes. Cut down 2 hours of footage and edit into 5 minutes.

GET THE BEAT
This event is a competition. So what other sound track better than one that is similar to reality shows. There's a perfect one available bySmartSound. Royalty-free music.

UPLOAD TO YOUTUBE
After 5 rounds of polishing, it's rendering, compressing and uploading to Youtube.

DVD VIDEO PRODUCTION
Last but not least there is also a DVD version for posterity and distribution.


See you on Youtube!

Adrian Lee
http://videolane.com/
http://instantviralvideo.com/
http://adriansjournal.blogspot.com/


PS:
Help your business grow with dvd and internet video production, sign up for my free newsletter now...
http://www.videolane.com/?Free_Newsletter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Cancel My Adobe Subscription

Steemit/DTube Review 2018 by Adrian Lee

Sony Vegas Pro 8 Tutorial - Multicamera Editing